[linux-lvm] / on LVM - what to do on shutdown?

Friedrich Lobenstock fl at fl.priv.at
Mon Nov 6 11:24:23 UTC 2000

Hi!

I have a problem because I don't know what to do when / is on lvm.

Currently /sbin/init.d/halt does the following (/ is not on lvm):

  [..]
  echo "Unmounting file systems"
  umount -avt noproc,nonfs
  [..]
  umount -anvt proc

  if test -d /etc/lvmtab.d -a -x /sbin/vgchange ; then
      /sbin/vgchange -a n
  fi

  [..]
  mount -no remount,ro / 2> /dev/null
  sync
  [..]
  halt -d -f

Now what if / is on lvm? Should I really call "/sbin/vgchange -a n" ?
What are with the commands afterwards will they fail or might
the lvm device get mixed up because of not correctly closing it?
Or should I load a ramdisk to do the work, if at all possible?

I think the md-Device does a clean shutdown by itself, because
I use md to create a raid1 with lvm on top?

PS: You might gess that I'm using SuSE Linux, 7.0 to precise.
The kernel ist 2.4.0-test10.

MfG / Regards
Friedrich Lobenstock