[linux-lvm] scsi/fc multipath failover patch

Jos Visser josv at osp.nl
Mon Nov 6 17:01:34 UTC 2000

Hi,

Does anyone know whether md, lvm and likeminded drivers are resistant
against this alternate pathing solution? I mean, when you connect a SCSI
(or FC disk for that matter) through two controllers, any application or
driver that does scanning of the attached disks and partitions will
encounter the same disk/partitions twice.

In order to solve this, they must have some way of identifying the disk
uniquely, and thus being able to conclude that they've seen it before.
HP-UX solves this by having a unique Pyshical Volume ID in the disk
header (PVID), thus it knows that a certain physical disk is an
alternate path for a disk that it has seen before.

Anyone any clues on how this is solved in a LinuxCare T3 patch/lvm/md
environment?

++Jos

(on Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 09:56:44AM -0600 to be exact)

--
Success and happiness can not be pursued; it must ensue as the
unintended side-effect of one's personal dedication to a course greater