[linux-lvm] LVM in shared parallel SCSI environment

Jos Visser josv at osp.nl
Tue Nov 14 06:44:25 UTC 2000

Hi Jesse,

Let's see if I get this right: You have an LVM configuration on a shared
SCSI disk set. I understand from your description that you have some
VG's active on more than one node at a time. Is this right? If so, I
wonder if it's supported (others are better equiped to determine this
than I am). However, most volume managers on other Unix platforms do not
allow this.

As far as I know the vgchange inactive/active bounce is the only thing
that will refresh the metadata.

However, if you have the VG truly active on more than one node (if
that's possible), you have a recipe for disaster! What if you by mistake
change the VG (e.g. adding an LV) from one node, and then perform a
similar action from another node? I would not be surprised if there
would be corruptions, oopses and panics all over the place.

++Jos

(on Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 08:46:02AM -0500 to be exact)

--
Success and happiness can not be pursued; it must ensue as the
unintended side-effect of one's personal dedication to a course greater