[linux-lvm] LVM in shared parallel SCSI environment

Jos Visser josv at osp.nl
Wed Nov 15 07:04:14 UTC 2000

Hi,

Though most has already been said in this thread, just a small followup
with some notes and thoughts.

The traditional volume managers on HP-UX, Solaris (VxVM) and AIX do not
usually support shared access to a volume group from two or more nodes,
even if the nodes access different logical volumes. This is done
explicitly to prevent the kind of problems that have been pointed out in
this thread (the chance that two nodes have different in-core metadata
about the VG). HP's LVM supports a read-only vgchange that allows only
read-only access to the VG and its LV's, but I've never used it.

In these traditional environment, the clustering software exports and
imports the VG's as necessary, and run some clusterwide resource manager
that takes care of who currently "owns" the VG. Veritas has a special
Cluster Volume Manager (CVM) that allows shared access to volume groups,
but AFAIK it is only used with parallel databases such as Oracle
Parallel Server.

For myself, I would not choose a solution like Jesse's. However, the fun
and power of Unix is that everyone can handcraft his/her own optimal
environment. As long as you're aware of the consequences what you're
doing: please be my guest :-)

I must admit that I have not looked at what LVM 0.9 will bring to the
table, but some added features in the clustering arena would be very
welcome.

++Jos

(on Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 02:29:02PM -0500 to be exact)

--
Success and happiness can not be pursued; it must ensue as the
unintended side-effect of one's personal dedication to a course greater