[linux-lvm] disk add means trouble: vgscan -- invalid i/o protocol version 5

Stefan Helfert stefan.helfert at mpi-hd.mpg.de
Mon Apr 16 18:34:18 UTC 2001

Dear list,

I was running a stable configuration until yesterday:
several SCSI disks with standard partitions, two IDE disks, only one IDE
disk (Maxtor 40Gig /dev/hda) holding a LVM partition. LVM version that
of
SuSE 7.0, that was lvm-0.8 Build 111 from SuSE.

When I added a 60 GB Maxtor IDE as primary slave, I found that vgscan
only
throws an "invalid i/o protocol" error. Upgrading to a SuSE 7.0 update
lvm did not help. Upgrading to the SuSE 7.1 lvm-0.9.1_beta-3 did not
help
except detailing the error "... protocol version 5".

When detaching the 60 GB disk, everything works again. (The 60 Gig disk
is empty, it did not hold a partition table -- and it does not work with
partition table and some partition either.)

Any ideas ? (The 40Gig disk is in dire need of replacement, and this
configuration should be used over the weekend to move the data).

Let me stress this:
the configuration had been working flawlessly before, and I checked that
/dev/lvm is around.

Stefan

bash-2.04# vgscan -d
<1> lvm_get_iop_version -- CALLED
<22> lvm_check_special -- CALLED
<22> lvm_check_special -- LEAVING
<1> lvm_get_iop_version -- AFTER ioctl ret: 0
<1> lvm_get_iop_version -- LEAVING with ret: 5
vgscan -- invalid i/o protocol version 5