[linux-lvm] Removal of PV

hail narcissus gene_yee at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:50:07 UTC 2001

I know this has been asked before and I browsed the archives for the info.
But I want to be sure since I am dealing with 500+GB of data.

Here is my configuration:
hda-h (80Gig IDE's)
sda-n (9Gig SCSI's)
652.81 GB VG
505GB Used 140GB Free

I want to remove the SCSI drives since I am having some SCSI bus problems
and they are just old and I am not feeling comfortable with it's
reliability.

I believe this would be the proper steps:

resize2fs /dev/lv/vg 520G  <-- Is 520G correct, particularly the G.
pvmove /dev/sda /dev/hdh   <-- Assuming /dev/hdh has free space
pvmove /dev/sdb /dev/hdh
pvmove /dev/sdc /dev/hdh
lvreduce -L 520G /dev/lv/vg
vgreduce vg /dev/sda
vgreduce vg /dev/sdb
vgreduce vg /dev/sdc

I saw in the mailing list where someone suggested:

ext2resize/resize2fs
lvreduce
pvmove
vgreduce

But I would think you would want to do pvmove before the lvreduce.
Otherwise you might truncate data?

Thanks for any help!!