[linux-lvm] Seems LVM not properly installed - help!

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Wed Apr 18 00:57:37 UTC 2001

Rupert writes:
> The iop10 libraries are under /lib/lvm-iop10.  (what IS "IOP10"
> anyway??)

IOP = Input/Output Protocol

This is the version of LVM user tools and kernel that your system has,
and the user tools IOP must match the kernel IOP.

> However when I try to run any of the /sbin progs, the same msg keeps
> appearing -

You can get the kernel IOP from "cat /proc/lvm/global".
You should check that /dev/lvm exists, and is character device 109,0.

>     vgcreate
>     lvmiopversion -- LVM driver/module not loaded?

This means that the lvmiopversion program can't get the kernel IOP
via ioctl from /dev/lvm.  This is very unusual, because even if /dev/lvm
is deleted or is totally bogus, it should be re-created for us.

>     vgcreate: /lib/lvm-iop not found.  Is lvm-iop installed?

This is a result of lvmiopversion failing.  The script _should_ report

vgcreate: /sbin/lvmiopversion not found or can't determine IOP version

in this case.  I don't know what else it could be.

> VGCREATE seems to be looking in the wrong place - "/lib/lvm-iop" instead
> of "/lib/lvm-iop10".

No, just a result of the wrapper script getting an empty string for IOP,
yet strangely not empty enough to generate the above error.

> Have I installed LVM correctly here, does anyone know?   If so, where
> can I look for a solution?

Try running both:

echo "'`lvmiopversion`'"
strace lvmiopversion

and sending the output here (you only need send the last 20 lines of strace).

Cheers, Andreas