[linux-lvm] Kernel 2.4 -- invalid i/o protocol version

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Fri Apr 20 05:47:09 UTC 2001

Ernesto Silva writes:
> 	I've recently installed  a new server, runing RedHat 7.0. I have also
> installed 2.4 kernel with LM support.
>
> 	Then I  have downloaded lvm-0.8final from the sistina ftp site, then
> I compiled it (I also included the patch) and I installed it. (well, no
> eveything was so smoothly, but it's installed now).

You need to have 0.9 version tools to run with the 2.4 kernel.

> I only have one scsi disk of 18GB, but I will add at least another 2 in the
> next month, so I need it working. Do you think this will work?? I'm almost
> betting my job on it.

Never good to bet your job on things you have not tested.  That way
leads to a new job.  LVM has been _fairly_ reliable, but there have
also been some problems as well - most have been fixable with a bit of
debugging, but...  It is always worthwhile to do testing before putting
a system into production.  Note that you have a far smaller chance of
having serious problems if you ensure you make backups of your data,
and make as few changes to your LVM configuration as possible.

I have never had problems with LVM that I didn't cause myself from
working on the code.  But then again, none of the data I have under
LVM is critical (mostly MP3s and test filesystems), and I have full
backups of everything.

Cheers, Andreas