[linux-lvm] LVM on root, Kernel panic: "I have no root and I must scream"

Goetz Bock bock at blacknet.de
Fri Apr 27 23:40:15 UTC 2001

On Fri, Apr 27 '01 at 15:06, Day, Evan wrote:
> Using LILO (21.5 from the stable Debian dist) is sketchy.  Sometimes it'll
> boot, other times it just prints "LI" on the screen [ ... ]
Whilt I don't know if this I true, I once read that the letters of LILO
tells you what exactly is broken with your setup.
> I think I was a bit confused because it turns out that /dev/sdb is scsi
> id 6 (boot disk) and /dev/sda is scsi id 5, even though the SCSI BIOS
> reports id 6 as HD0 and id 5 as HD1.
You're asking for trouble here. Why don't you fix your disk's IDs to be
0 (the boot disk) and 1 (the other) ...
> I have a pair of IDE drives on the system, too, and LILO always
... or simply boot from the IDE disks?
> complains that /dev/sdb isn't the first disk...
There is an option for LILO to tell it what the BIOS assumes each disk
is. (ReadTheFineManual ;-))

Cu,
    Goetz.