Re: [linux-lvm] Writing forward compatible applications using /proc

On Saturday, 11 August 2001, at 23:57:18 -0400,
Jason Tackaberry wrote:

> [...]
> I am curious if it's a silly idea to write an application that relies on
> the data in /proc?  Do the kernel developers attempt to keep the data
> and format provided in /proc as stable as possible?  Or is it fair game
> for trivial changes that could break applications that parse it?  Should
> I use ioctl instead?

As far as I know, there are plans to remove much of the thingss that
currently appear under /proc. It seems that only information about
processes currently running will remain under /proc.

Kernel parameters, system information, kernel variables and kernel
tunables will probably disappear and will be replaced by some sort of
user-space application that will allow query and modfication of kernel
values and tunables. Something similar to Solaris' ndd, AFAIK.

Greetings.

--
José Luis Domingo López
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian GNU/Linux Potato (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo EN internautas PUNTO org  => ¿ Spam ? Atente a las consecuencias
jdomingo AT internautas DOT   org  => Spam at your own risk