Re: [linux-lvm] Writing forward compatible applications using /proc

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 10:16:50PM +0200, Ragnar Kj?rstad wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 08:07:02PM +0100, Joe Thornber wrote:
> > I would much rather see people wrapping the tools than using liblvm, in fact
> > liblvm will probably disappear in the future.
>
> Why will liblvm disappear? To me using a library interface seems much
> nicer than wrapping applications.

Because it's means there's yet another interface (along with the
command line tools, and ioctl's) to constrain any implementation
changes.  Command line tool interface will not change.  liblvm (if it
still existed as a shared library) will change drastically between 1.0
and 2.0 - not least because it in turn reflects the driver ioctl
interface.

The experimental branch has a single lvm tool, with liblvm statically
linked into it.  There's no need for the outside world to know about
liblvm.

It may be a good idea for Sistina to produce a tiny 'wrap the tools'
library for use by gui implementors.

- Joe