Re: [linux-lvm] Writing forward compatible applications using /proc

On Mon, Aug 13 '01 at 21:49, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Compare with: wow! instead of a few simple modular applications we
> now get a single one which tries to do everything. I'm not convinced
> this is a step forward, the UNIX philosophy of having lots of small
> single-purpose tools is a good one.
(I did not check the cvs or how it is done)
but if they did it right, they did it the same way busybox works:
independent code file that could work as independent executables (if
wrapped with some glue logic) but which work from one main executeable.
While it keeps the mantainability of lots of small tools, it is actually
better to manage for the user/admin (just one file), and the executable
might even be smaller (better for bootdisks or simmilar low diskspace
situations)
--
Goetz Bock                                              IT Consultant
Dipl.-Inf. Univ.