[linux-lvm] Help with redhat install

Johan van den Berg sbg00091 at wolmail.nl
Sat Aug 18 14:23:57 UTC 2001

Hello!!

    I encountered the same pronlems. I was in the
    supposition the kernel 2.4.2 was already fit for
    lvm-iop-0.9.1_beta6-1.

    The source is indeed suitable for lvm, but it still
    has to be patched with the patchgenerator.

    I have the same kernel as yours, and all has to be
    patched and recompiled

    0)    make a bootable floppy (rescuefloppy) of the existing kernel

    1)    patch the sources (you must have the sources)
            `patch -p1 <  /../../../lvm-0.9.1_beta?-2.2.18.patch'

            2.2.18. may be another version, coming from
            the rpm-package chosen.
            This step is necessary, the source still needs to
            be patched. I skpped this step once, because I
            assumed the soures were fit for LVM, but this
            step needs to be done however.

    2)     cd ../../source-directory of linux/
            make mrproper
            make xconfig

            NOW load from ../configs/<your kernel-configuration>
                Next to your kernel-source there has to be a
                directory, named configs.
                In that directory, configs, there is a configuration-file,
                for diverse architectures and usages (BOOT, normal)
                Choose the desired architecture and usage (probably *-i386-)
            AFTER loading the configurationfile from ../configs,
            choose the submenu of `RAID and LVM support'
            THEN choose how you want to compile, as a module or
            directly into the kernel.

    3)    make dep
    4)    make bzImage
    5)    make bzdisk    - if you use a floppy -
                OR
            make install    - if you have lilo installed.
    6)    if have chosen the lvm (in make xconfig) to be used as a module
            make modules
            make modules install
    7)    copy the kernel image (bzImage) to the place were your regular
            bootable kernel is found
    8)    eventually have a bootable floppy readyof the new kernel
            OR/AND update the /etc/lilo.conf, to have one or both kernels
                            available.

Johan van den Berg,
's Hertogenbosch,
Holland