[linux-lvm] Build bugs for lvm 1.0.1

Patrick Caulfield caulfield at sistina.com
Tue Dec 18 07:20:02 UTC 2001

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 12:13:38PM -0500, Trond Eivind Glomsr?d wrote:
> 1) Trying to set group/user on install is evil. It shouldn't be the
>    default, as this option will fail when you build as non-root

That's a fair point but not major as the tools will only run as root anyway so
installing them as non-root is not useful.

> 2) When using "--without-user --without-group", it tries to install with
>    user/group of no/no. Needless to say, this fails.

Sounds like a bug.

> 3) It has prototypes of lseek64/basename which are incompatible with
>    glibc. Use "-DGNU_SOURCE -O2" for CFLAGS and enjoy.

The only reason that -O0 is in there is as a workaround for the broken compilers
in Red Hat 7 :-(

> 4) It shouldn't look in /usr/src/linux for the linux kernel sources -
>    look at /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build. Also, the current running kernel
>    doesn't necesarrily (or for people who package it, almost certainly
>    doesn't match) what you build it for.

The purpose of needing a kernel directory is primarily as a target for the
kernel patch and it is overridden with the --with-kernel_dir= configure option.
If the user is rebuilding a new kernel then it is unlikely to be the same one as
they are running so I think using /lib/modules/... is maybe not the best option.

Agreed /usr/src/linux is not always going to be the right place either but
that's why there is an override.

patrick