Re: [linux-lvm] Implementation questions

hi,

I see two options for setting up raid1 (this is whole-disk mirroring, right?:

1. configure a system how you like as a raid array with the second disk faulty. then duplicate the first hdd using "dd" or something similar.
2. use an automated installer(i.e. Redhat's Kickstart) to install a bare bones (non-lvm)root partition on the raid device, then have an after-installation program setup lvm and the rest of the system.
BTW, Redhat's installer DOES understand RAID, just not LVM.
(If you're REALLY brave, you could hack LVM support into Redhat's installer, but I'm not brave enough for that.)

FYI,
Kickstart info:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/custom-guide/s1-kickstart2-file.html

The @Base Package group contains a bare bones Redhat system, I think it's about 200-300MB.

Jason Edgecombe

Colin Coe wrote:

Thanks for the responses.  I didn't properly explain the problem properly.
The real problem is getting the LVM installed on to /dev/md0 where /dev/md0
is /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdc1.  I'm still trying to get the first (test) box up
and going properly.

The wishlist
- make the 2 x 20GB drives into /dev/hd[ac]1 partitioned to use the whole
disk
- make /dev/md0 (RAID1) contain both disks
- use pvcreate /dev/md0
- use vgcreate rootvg /dev/md0
- lvcreate ...
- mkfs.xfs /dev/rootvg/...

I don't mind if the setup procedure for the first (test) machine is dodgy
and convoluted, as pointed out I should be able to use Ghost or some other
method to roll the other machines out after.

TIA

CC