[linux-lvm] LVM don't work anymore (wrong version?)

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Thu Feb 15 20:03:03 UTC 2001

Jean-Eric Cuendet writes:
> I have this same problem on two of our servers! The 2 runs the same kernel:
> 2.4.1 with ACL patch and LVM 0.9.1beta4
>
> [root at zorro /root]# pvscan -u
> pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
> pvscan -- ACTIVE   PV "/dev/md6" with UUID
> "v7Y8gz-KMXB-d6Iq-Y0U1-iiSo-javD-wOL89P"  is associated to an
> unknown VG (run vgscan)
> pvscan -- ACTIVE   PV "/dev/md7" with UUID
> "xTl7Nc-6DhQ-KV3c-HHd0-LI50-nQwq-wFBYCG"  is associated to an
> unknown VG (run vgscan)
> pvscan -- ACTIVE   PV "/dev/md8" with UUID
> "oDXPq6-s9Zn-dOHF-ss8J-Rdxt-jTKT-wFoIGQ"  is associated to an
> unknown VG (run vgscan)

Try running 'pvdata -U' on each of the PV's, and see if there are empty
UUID slots on some of them.  This is a bug with the old LVM tools.  If
this is true, you can try to comment out the section in pv_read_all_pv_of_vg
which verifies the UUIDs (starts like "if (uuids) {"), and try vgscan
again.

Cheers, Andreas