[linux-lvm] hard drive shock tolerance

Scott Laird laird at internap.com
Fri Jan 12 21:41:02 UTC 2001

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Russell Coker wrote:
> Given a choice I prefer hard drives with lower rotational speeds because of
> the lesser heat production.  Read the spec sheets and you'll see that as a
> general rule 10K rpm drives use twice as much power as 7200 rpm drives, twice
> the power == twice the heat!

Hmm.  Seagate's current 9GB 7200 RPM drive, the ST39236LC draws 7W when
idle.  Their current 9 GB 10k RPM drive, the ST39204LC draws 8.5W when
idle.  IMHO, that's not really very significant anymore, especially when
your CPU eats 20-70W.  Both of these numbers are way better then drives
only a generation or two back -- last year's ST39175 (9 GB, 7200 RPM) drew
9.75W when idle.

Scott