[linux-lvm] Re: Keeping swap in the middle of the disk

Chris Wilson cdw22 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 26 21:13:08 UTC 2001

Hi Greck,

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Greck Cannon wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 07:18:23PM +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> |
> | - Use MD to do linear append of hda2, hda4 and hdc2, hdc4 then use LVM
> | with the md0 and md1. [Not tried this - and all the different versions of
> | MD look rather scary!]
>
> This is exactly what I'm doing... well, the md part anyway.  md 0.90
> (stock in 2.4, a patch in 2.2) is very robust, and easy to configure.

Where does this live? Kernel 2.4 is nowhere near stable on my SMP system
(ethernet lasts a few hours before it gives up on IRQ's). There appears to
be an alpha patch for 2.2.17 at
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raid-patches/ and the kernel.org
pub/linux/daemons/raid/alpha is old too - neither will patch a clean
2.2.18 distribution.

> I'm using matching priorities on the swap to stripe them, and sda4 and
> sdb4 are RAID-0.  Eventually I'll bind sda1 and sdb1 as RAID-0 with md
> as well, and give LVM /dev/md0 and /dev/md1 as PVs.

Let me know whether you have any success with that! If LVM is happy with
/dev/md0 as a PV then that might be the best solution for me (I could
probably do it all with MD but I like the idea of being able to add
another couple of disks down the line and add them to the same
mega-filesystem :) Course I'd have to get MD working first - what's wrong
with the MD that's included in 2.2.18? I've seen mention of 'nasties' and
'bugs' but no specifics.

> sda2 is / (just for ease of maintenance and repair) and I dunno WHAT I'm
> going to do with sdb2 yet.  Maybe I'll trust md to RAID-0 sda2 and sdb2
> together as /.
>
> BTW, it's *really* nice to see someone else that still takes an interest
> in what used to be some of the basics of system performance.

:)

Chris

jakdaw at xmms.org