[linux-lvm] vgcreate

Hey everyone, I'm new to this list adn have a question regarding LVM.  I
wanted to experiment with LVM, so I went into fdisk and changed /dev/hde11's
type to 8e.  I then ran
pvcreate /dev/hde11

To make sure everything went okay, I ran pvscan:
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part11" is in no VG
[9.76 GB]

Things were looking up until I ran vgcreate:
vgcreate experiment /dev/hde11
vgcreate -- no valid physical volumes in command line

I tried disabling devfs and got the same things.  I'm using kernel 2.4.5 and
have LVM 0.9.1-beta7.  I made sure to patch the kernel and replace all the
get_blocksize's with get_sect_size (or something like that, I forget).  Can
anyone help me?  Thanks!
Joe