Re: [linux-lvm] Newbie question

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 10:08:02AM -0500, Steven Lembark wrote:

> >> Now I have a question. I read the HOWTO migrate the old root partition to a
> >> LV
>
> Think really, really hard before trying this.  Linux on an X86 doesn't have
> an LVM aware bios and you cannot boot w/o LVM (e.g., HP's "-lm").  This
> means that if you have any error at all in LVM you cannot boot.

and HP9000 haven't either!
-lm works because the vg layout is saved in a file in /stand
they have LVM activation in the kernel tough (sorta, they still need a contiguous root, placed
on the same PV as the kernel is)

> A safer approach -- especially if you havn't used LVM before -- is to use
> the first 2-3 partitions for /, swap and /var.  This allows you to boot even if
maybe / if linux had a sane use for /sbin, but swap and var are unneeded.

(btw i have lvm root and i am happy)

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca comedia it