[linux-lvm] I/O error: dev 08:11, sector 0

Allan M. Wind allanwind at mediaone.net
Sat Jul 21 01:13:56 UTC 2001

On 2001-07-19 10:52:15, Allan M. Wind wrote:

> The drive started complaining before any changes were made, I suppose the cable
> could have gone bad (length, termination, power etc should be ok), but...

Replaced the scsi cable per suggestion and it appears to make no
difference in that 'I/O error: dev 08:11, sector 0' is logged when
running vgck.  No "scsi:" errors were reported with this drive.

> When does lvm create /dev/sdb1 (I only used /dev/sdb)?

Still curios about this one as I did not create it and cfdisk does not
seem to recognize the partition (just reports free space).  How is
this partition locatated in relation to the disc device?  I get the
above error if dd if=sdb1 but I would think the sector would be
reachable via the the disc device also... perhaps there is something
wrong with the device partition?

Does lvm use the first sector?  If not, could it just be bad data that
is somehow read and therefor complained about and could be wiped?
Should I create a partition and feed that to pvcreate instead of
giving it the raw disk?

Any input is greatly appreciated...

/Allan
Allan M. Wind			email: allanwind at mediaone.net