[linux-lvm] Migrating to an LVM system (boot/root) disk

Brian J. Murrell lvm at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Jun 3 02:16:24 UTC 2001

I would like to migrate my system disk to using LVM, completely --
boot and root filesystems (as well as others).  I have 0.9.1beta7 as
well as the lilo patch posted previous to this list.

Fortunately I have a new ide disk that is larger than my system disk
currently so I can migrate to it.  My current system disk is on
/dev/hda and the new disk is on /dev/hdc.  I have created one large
/dev/hdc1 partition on the new disk.

I have also created a PV, a VG and two LVs -- root and boot.  I have
mounted the lvs and copied my boot and root filesytems to the PVs.  I
also create the lvm initrd.  So far so good.

I edited my /etc/lilo.conf on the new root filesystem to change the
following:

-boot=/dev/hda
+boot=/dev/hdc
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
-       root=/dev/hda5
+       root=/dev/system/boot
+       initrd=/boot/initrd-lvm-2.4.5-1.1mdk.gz
        read-only

However when I chroot to the root filesystem on the new disk and run
the lilo command I get the following:

# lilo
Warning: /dev/hdc is not on the first disk
Fatal: This version of LVM does not support boot LVs

The warning I understand but it would seem there is some problem with
what I have cobbled together here as my lilo does not like my LVM for
booting.

One other thing that has occurred to me is that the PV that underlies
the VG was named as /dev/hdc1.  I have a suspicion that I will not be
able to simply move that drive from the secondary IDE bus to the
primary IDE bus as it will then be known as /dev/sda1.  Is this
correct?

Is there a better way to do this migration if my desire is really to
have one large parition/PV for my VG rather than using a bunch of
partitions/PV's?

Any comments most welcome.

Thanx much, in advance,
b.

P.S.  I also have horrible nightsweats of trying to boot an LVM box from
"emergency" boot media (diskettes, CDROM, etc.).  :-)

--
Brian J. Murrell