[linux-lvm] logical volumes extending beyond 1 machine

Damon Fasching fasching at design.lbl.gov
Thu Jun 7 16:47:26 UTC 2001

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Jens Benecke wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 05:08:47PM -0700, Damon Fasching wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible using LVM define a logical volume which includes disks from
> > more than 1 machine?
>
> I don't think so. You want NFS for that, or the Mosix GFS (global file
> system). Look at www.mosix.org

Ah, thanks.  I guess what I was wondering was whether or not an NSF
mounted disk can be included in a logical volume defined by LVM.  I am
working with a large database, 10 TB, and am curious as to whether I will
need to break it up into more than 1 database file.

> --
> Jens Benecke     No Linux user has a 'Microsoft free system'. 'make config'
>                  in the kernel configuration was originally written by a MS
> 		 employee.
> http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Die kostenlose Mitfahrzentrale für ganz Europa

   / Damon Fasching         \ /                    \
  |  University of Wisconsin |  LBNL/MS 50A-6134    |
  |  phone: (510)486-5230    |  1 Cyclotron Road    |
  |  fax:   (510)486-5977    |  Berkeley, CA 94720  |