Re: [linux-lvm] LVM configuration question....

On Sun, Jun 24 '01 at 15:32, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > Well, you can force pvcreate to use /dev/sdc, but you should not.
>
> Why not?  I thought for non-system (i.e. boot) disks this was
> perfectly acceptable.
It will gain you about a meg (one cylinder), but will cause all kind of
trouble when you're not very carefyll. lilo, other OSes installers,
user errors can easily cause the rewriting of a MBR. This will kill your
PV, and the VG it belongs to.
Some readers already had this happen, and it was QUITE a pain to recover
the data on the affected VG (I'm not sure if everyone was able to
recover their data, for sure some were (with the help of Heinz IIRC))

    Goetz.