[linux-lvm] Problem with vgscan/ vgcfgrestore

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Tue Mar 13 01:40:56 UTC 2001

Wichert writes:
> > IOP was reverted to 10 because the 1 reason it was changed to 11 was
> > removed (*).  Having IOP 11 tools, when stock 2.4.x has IOP 10 is just
> > asking for lots of bug reports, not to mention headaches for users.
>
> I figured that out by now. I think I'll add the LVM10 ioctls to
> strace 4.4 actually :)

That would be nice.

> BTW, the current LVM tools violate the FHS by putting binaries in
> /sbin/lvm-*/. Would you accept a patch to move that to /lib/lvm-*/
> instead?

Why is FHS violated when binaries are in /sbin?  In any case, I have
my tools in /lib/lvm-iop10, and only the wrapper script in /sbin.  If
installed properly, the wrapper is < 1k, hardlinked to all tool names.

I agree it is a bit of a mess with _all_ of the tools going into /sbin,
when only a couple are needed at boot time.  However, it does make life
easier if you have trouble activating your LVs.

Cheers, Andreas