[linux-lvm] e2fsck on logical volume?

I asked a similar question a little while back and was told all I can run is vgck. So I just ignored the warning message on bootup:

EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended

Well I've extended my Logical Volume and I was just about done. Until I tried to run 'ext2resize'. It gives me a warning message about problems with my EXT2 partition and to run e2fsck.

I figure I can do a force with ex2resize or I can run umount my volume and run e2fsck. Me not being all that bold with 500 gigs of data that hasn't been backed up, I have done neither.

I would think the best thing would be to umount my volume and run e2fsck, but I don't know if that is going to destroy my logical volume or if it is all compatible.

Thanks!!