Re: [linux-lvm] FW: Problem with vgscan/ vgcfgrestore

Good afternoon, Daniel,

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Daniel Whicker wrote:

  [NON-Text Body part not included]

	I do understand that lists like this one occasionally need to be
used to send debugging information.
	That said, you should really consider whether sending even one
copy - let alone two - of a 700K file is truly necessary, or whether there
are better alternatives, such as:
	- Putting the debugging information on a web site and sending the
URL to the mailing list.
	- Compressing the data before sending to the list.
	- If the original signature was faulty, simply resending the
signature instead of the whole package.
	- Summarizing the data to the best of your ability and pointing
people at a url for the original data.

	In short, if the message comes out to more than 30-50K, you should
rethink what you're trying to send as a courtesy to the people from which
you're requesting help.  I'm reasonably confident I'm not the only
modem-based user of lvm.  1.5M to download takes quite a chunk out of my
afternoon, as terminal sessions become unusable during the mail download.
	Cheers,
	- Bill

Windows NT: n.
    32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit
    operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,  written
    by a 2-bit company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.
(Courtesy of Michael Neuffer <neuffer trudi zdv Uni-Mainz DE>)
William Stearns (wstearns pobox com).  Mason, Buildkernel, named2hosts,
and ipfwadm2ipchains are at:                http://www.pobox.com/~wstearns
LinuxMonth; articles for Linux Enthusiasts! http://www.linuxmonth.com