[linux-lvm] Problem with vgscan/ vgcfgrestore

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Tue Mar 13 00:59:54 UTC 2001

Daniel Whiker writes:
> Thanks for helping.  I did in fact have devfs compiled in and mounted to an
> alternative path.

Currently devfs and LVM don't work well together, especially if it is not
mounted on /dev.  My patch fixes a small part of this, but it is still
safer to simply configure devfs out of the kernel when using LVM, until
your system is working properly.

> Beyond that, everything is pretty vanilla.  I'm rebuilding the OS on that
> system at the moment, but as soon as I'm done, I'll get 2.4.2 with LVM
> .9.1b5 and your patch installed and see how it goes from there.  In the
> meantime, is there any way of restoring the "HM" magic to the PVs
> nondestructively?

I think this may have been caused by the devfs strangeness.  Start out
with devfs out of the kernel entirely, and go from there.  I don't think
2.4.2 will help you.  You need to apply an LVM kernel patch anyways.

Cheers, Andreas