[linux-lvm] linux lvm iop version?

Jos Visser josv at osp.nl
Wed Mar 14 12:56:01 UTC 2001

There have been patches to LILO flying around the mailing list that
would enable LILO to boot the kernel from a logical volume. This would
obviate the need for a separate /boot native partition.

IOP is the protocol between the userland and kernel components of the
LVM. When we (or actually, Heinz c.s.) add features to LVM, the IOP
might change so as to enable these new features to be controlled through
the LVM's commands. To guard against older tools talking to a newer
kernel module (or vice versa), the tools check the IOP version that the
kernel expects. If they do not match with the IOP version to tools have
been developed for, they abort their processing.

++Jos

And thus it came to pass that SOETE Joël wrote:
(on Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 02:09:59PM +0100 to be exact)

> Hello all,
>
> In my present position, I am in use to manage HP-UX server with LVM.
> Also I would like to implement a woody Debian on "full" LVM spare disk.
>
> But it seems that it is not absolutely possible because we need at least a
> small slice (partition) for /boot fs. Am I right?
>
> Then I have a look into 'lvmcreate_initrd' and found the option '-i'
> specifying LVM IOP version.
> I do not found any explanation on what IOP is.
> Is someone can advise me about this (is it for special material? what are
> its advantage?...) or where can I found those information (I already have a
> look into LVM HOWTO maintained by AJ Lewis but there is not mention of IOP)?
>
> Thanks in advance for information,
> 	Joel

> This e-mail and any attachments to it may contain confidential information which is strictly intended for the use of the authorised recipient.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender by replying to this e-mail.
> Thank you for your co-operation.

Each betrayal begins with trust.