[linux-lvm] LVM vs. /proc/partitions

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at larsshack.org
Sat Mar 17 00:43:15 UTC 2001

I suspect that this has been covered before, but after searching through
the FAQ and the mailing list archives I haven't found a good answer.

I have a single logical volume configured on my system.  I'm running 2.4.2
w/ lvm 0.9.1beta6, devfs, and SGI's xfs patches.  /proc/partition looks
like this (I've only included the first four columns for brevity):

  9 0 8887040 md0
  58 0 8884224 lvma
  8 0 4444462 scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc
  8 16 4444462 scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/disc
  [...]

The problem here is obvious -- there isn't a device file, anywhere, called
'lvma'.  There is, on the other hand, /dev/vg0/vol0.  Would making the
value displayed in /proc/partitions match the (devfs) device node require
significant work?

Incidentally, you'll not that the raid code has the same problem -- "md0"
should be "md/0", but at least with the md stuff it's possible to
automatically create compatability entries in /dev.

Other than that, my xfs on top of LVM on top of raid5 has been working
smoothly now for several days.  Great work!

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at larsshack.org>