[linux-lvm] [catch22] lvm vs reiserfs

Ed Tomlinson tomlins at cam.org
Thu Mar 22 19:46:31 UTC 2001

Hi,

I decided to really try out some of the features built into 2.4.  Using a
2.4.2-ac20 kernel I my root on /dev/lv/root as a reiserfs filesystem.  So
far so good.  Now I want to back it up.  So I created a snapshot with
lvcreate -L 50 -s -n snap /dev/lv/root.  This works too.  Problem happens
when I want to mount /dev/lv/snap to back it up logically.  At this point
reiserfs wants to replay its journal....  Of course it cannot (snapshot=ro).

How can this be resolved?  Is there a way to sync root just after the lvm
data gets updated in /etc but before the snapshot starts?  How else might
this be fixed (is it fixed already somewhere)?

TIA
Ed Tomlinson