[linux-lvm] [catch22] lvm vs reiserfs

Ed Tomlinson tomlins at cam.org
Thu Mar 22 21:06:53 UTC 2001

On Thursday 22 March 2001 15:10, Chris Mason wrote:
> On Thursday, March 22, 2001 02:46:31 PM -0500 Ed Tomlinson
>
> <tomlins at cam.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I decided to really try out some of the features built into 2.4.  Using a
> > 2.4.2-ac20 kernel I my root on /dev/lv/root as a reiserfs filesystem.  So
> > far so good.  Now I want to back it up.  So I created a snapshot with
> > lvcreate -L 50 -s -n snap /dev/lv/root.  This works too.  Problem happens
> > when I want to mount /dev/lv/snap to back it up logically.  At this point
> > reiserfs wants to replay its journal....  Of course it cannot
> > (snapshot=ro).
> >
> > How can this be resolved?  Is there a way to sync root just after the lvm
> > data gets updated in /etc but before the snapshot starts?  How else might
> > this be fixed (is it fixed already somewhere)?
>
> Go to ftp.sistina.com, and grab 0.9.1_beta6.  Apply
> linux-2.4.2-VFS-lock.patch that is included in PATCHES directory after
> untarring.  This provides the rest of the lockfs API I coded with the LVM
> guys.

I updated to ac21 with the above patch.  I am using the lvm utilities from:

deb ftp://ftp.sistina.com/pub/LVM/0.9/binaries/debian unstable main

Now I can mount the snapshot.  Thanks.

One loose end, is the journal-1777 message below something to worry about?

oscar# lvcreate -L 50 -s -n snap /dev/lv/root
lvcreate -- rounding up size to physical extent boundary "52 MB"
lvcreate -- WARNING: the snapshot must be disabled if it gets full
lvcreate -- INFO: using default snapshot chunk size of 64 KB for "/dev/lv/snap"
journal-1777: buffer 16 bad state !PREPARED !LOCKED !DIRTY !JDIRTY_WAIT
lvcreate -- doing automatic backup of "lv"
lvcreate -- logical volume "/dev/lv/snap" successfully created

TIA,
Ed Tomlinson