[linux-lvm] LVM, lilo and MBR?

Urs Thuermann urs at isnogud.escape.de
Tue Mar 27 09:34:08 UTC 2001

I think this was asked on this list before but I couldn't find it
anymore.

I would like to make my 3 SCSI harddisk drives into PVs without
partitioning them, i.e.

    pvcreate /dev/sda; pvcreate /dev/sdb; pvcreate /dev/sdc

But I need the MBR on /dev/sda to boot the system and I want to use
lilo.  Thus, I have 2 questions:

1. Is the first sector of a PV volume use by LVM or can I pvcreate
   /dev/sda and still use the MBR of /dev/sda to boot the system?
   Where does the VGDA start and how large is it?

2. IIRC, someone had a patch for lilo to load the kernel and initrd
   image from a LV.  Where can I get it?  And will it go into the
   standard lilo package?

These questions should probably go into the FAQ.

urs