[linux-lvm] LVM, lilo and MBR?

Patrick Caulfield caulfield at sistina.com
Tue Mar 27 14:14:58 UTC 2001

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 03:43:07PM +0200, Urs Thuermann wrote:
> Patrick Caulfield <caulfield at sistina.com> writes:
>
> > Yes it is. Don't run LILO on /dev/sda if it's a PV because it will
> > destroy it.  You should partition the disk into /dev/sda1 (that way
> > the PV will start further in and leave space for LILO)
>
> Hm, I hoped I could get rid of the broken partitioning scheme of the
> PC and C/H/S addressing used in the partition table.
>
> Are there objections to change LVM so that the VGDA is placed at some
> fixed offset (say 1 sector or 1 block (1K)) from the beginning of the
> PV?  This is how many file systems also use block devices to avoid
> conflicts with MBR, boot sectors and so on.

There are no plans to do this for the near future

> BTW, are the other partitioning schemes that I could use than the one
> that the standard MBR and MSDOS use?  Can the linux kernel recognize
> other partition tables which only use absolut, linear sector numbers?

LVM works quite happily with any of Linux's supported disk labelling systems,
but I think Sun and IRIX disk labels still use cylinders.

If you're really worried about broken partitioning systems then perhaps you
should use a less broken platform than a PC :-) Alphas are very nice, and you
could use the BSD disklabel utility to slice up the disk.

patrick