[linux-lvm] SCSI/LVM problems after power outage

Dave Wapstra dave at xs4all.nl
Wed May 9 18:14:16 UTC 2001

On 09 May, 2001 at 09:35:10 +0000, Heinz J. Mauelshagen <Mauelshagen at sistina.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 02:05:16PM -0700, Day, Evan wrote:
> > It looks like device 2 is having issues:
> >
> > SCSI disk error : host 2 channel 0 id 2 lun 0 return code = 18000002

Ok. Sounds reasonable ;)  It seems /dev/sdc is giving troubles.

> In case the PEs on the flaky device are still readable:
> extending your VG and using pvmove is the way to go.
>
> Steps needed (crossing your fingers that the flaky drive can still stand this):
>
> - install or use an additional drive of at least the size of the flaky one
> - pvcreate that drive
> - vgextend the VG by it
> - pvmove /dev/FlakyDrive
> - wait until pvmove is done
> - vgreduce VG /dev/FlakyDrive

I'm trying to backup the data that is still available (backup was a
thing that was still in progress... :) )

pvmove is not really happy with the current situation.

Can I just do "vgreduce ftp /dev/sdc" after I finished rescueing most of the data?

> You should have your LVs offline in case you have an older version than
> LVM 0.9.1 Beta 7, because they had a pvmove related bug which could cause
> oopses when you moved PEs in use.
>
> BTW: you need to configure MD (RAID 1 or 5) or use hardware raid subsystems
>      to avoid suffering from such flaky disk problems.

I haven't looked at RAID yet. The striping option of LVM is not really
an option, since I cannot add any disks to the volume.

-Dave

--
Dave Wapstra
dave at xs4all.nl