How about ext3? (was RE: [linux-lvm] XFS and LVM)

Jay Weber jweber at valinux.com
Wed May 23 12:21:35 UTC 2001

Yes, it is shrinkable.  It performs the same as ext2 other than the fact
it has journaling for the most part. :)

Snapshotting is a bit different at present.  You can snapshot just fine if
you umount the filesystem first, since that leaves the filesystem in a
clean state.  If you want to do online snapshotting you'll have to add in
a hook to ext3 to use the LVM_VFS_ENHANCEMENT fsync_dev_lockfs() and
unlockfs() features.  The recent ext3 0.0.6b does support a journal
barrier feature so you can flush the journal and set the fs to a clean
state during the snapshot.  I've a dated patch here somewhere, I'll dig
around for it.  The problem the above resolves is that snapshotting an
active ext3 filesystem means there's a journal with bits of data hanging
about that needs to be addressed prior to the snapshot.  If it's not you
won't be able to mount the snapshot since they are read-only and the
journal would not be able to replay.

There is also online resizing available to some degree for ext2/ext3.
Andreas Dilger maintains that if I'm correct, I haven't messed with it
much myself yet. :)