[linux-lvm] Help on LVM/SW-RAID build problems

BOIK MOON mooasun at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 16:42:02 UTC 2001

Hello,

I am totally in trouble after I changed the partition
type to 0x8e. On SUSE7.2 I am trying to configure
LVM on SW-RAID1 with two IDEs.

I did not have any problem to configure md0, md1, md2
and then create volume group and logical volume using
the attached "raidtab" in the end.

These problems are come after I changed the partition
type to 0x8e. So I deleted all of patitions from two
IDEs and re-partition them. I still have the same
problems as follow;

1) fdisk error

Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2434 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id
System
/dev/hdb1             1        64    514048+  8e
Linux LVM
/dev/hdb2            65       702   5124735   8e
Linux LVM
/dev/hdb3           703      1340   5124735   8e
Linux LVM

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Re-read table failed with error 16: Device or resource
busy.

2) No such file error

root at bo:~ > raidstop --all
cannot determine md version: No such file or directory

kingate at bo:~ > /sbin/mkraid
cannot determine md version: No such file or directory

kingate at bo:~ > /sbin/mkraid --really-force /dev/md1
cannot determine md version: No such file or directory

3) Partiton type

 Is it OK to use the partition type "0x8e" for
LVM/SW-RAID?  How about "0xfd"?

Thanks in advance,

Bo

-----------------raidtab------------