Re: [linux-lvm] Help on LVM/SW-RAID build problems

BOIK MOON wrote:

Hi,

 > >Is it OK to use the partition type "0x8e" for
 >>LVM/SW-RAID? How about "0xfd"?
 >>
 >you can not create LVM/SW-RAID
 >you can make LVM over SW-RAID or SW-RAID over LVM

Why am I getting an error on the partition when I use 0x8e as type?

Because you can not RAID and LVM on the same device at the same time. You CAN use your physical partitions (/dev/hd*# or sd*#) to create a RAID device and THEN use create LVM on top of the RAID device (/dev/md#).

Yes, I did not have any error when I used 0xfd as partition type.

To make SW-RAID over LVM, Should I create the partition using 0x8e(LVM) type?

If you mean the same partition you used when creating the RAID, then NO.

as for the "cannot determine md version: No such file or directory"

You don't have "md" (RAID) support in the kernel. Configure your kernel for md devices (or, if it is not a boot device, make them as modules)

after you do your mkraid, then pvcreate the /dev/md# and you can use it for lvm (no need to set any partition type on md0).

Lost in Tokyo,
  Keith

Thanks for your kind answer

Bo

svetljo <galia st-peter stw uni-erlangen de> wrote:

    Hi
    you shouldn't change the softRAID partition id to lvm
    you had to create the lvm over the RAID

     >1) fdisk error
     >
     >Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2434 cylinders
     >Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
     >
     > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id
     >System
     >/dev/hdb1 1 64 514048+ 8e
     >Linux LVM
     >/dev/hdb2 65 702 5124735 8e
     >Linux LVM
     >/dev/hdb3 703 1340 5124735 8e
     >Linux LVM

    you have destroyed the RAID

     >Command (m for help): w
     >The partition table has been altered!
     >

     >2) No such file error

    you have no the raid devices hdb[1-3]

     >root bo:~ > raidstop --all
     >cannot determine md version: No such file or directory
     >
     >kingate bo:~ > /sbin/mkraid
     >cannot determine md version: No such file or directory
     >
     >kingate bo:~ > /sbin/mkraid --really-force /dev/md1
     >cannot determine md version: No such file or directory
     >
     >3) Partiton type
     >
     > Is it OK to use the partition type "0x8e" for
     >LVM/SW-RAID? How about "0xfd"?

    you can not create LVM/SW-RAID
    you can make LVM over SW-RAID or SW-RAID over LVM

     >Thanks in advance,
     >
     >Bo
     >
     >-----------------raidtab------------
     >raiddev /dev/md0
     > raid-level 0
     > nr-raid-disks 2
     > nr-spare-disks 0
     > chunk-size 4
     > persistent-superblock 1
     > device /dev/hdb1
     > raid-disk 0
     > device /dev/hdc1
     > raid-disk 1
     >
     >raiddev /dev/md1
     > raid-level 1
     > nr-raid-disks 2
     > nr-spare-disks 0
     > chunk-size 4
     > persistent-superblock 1
     > device /dev/hdb2
     > raid-disk 0
     > device /dev/hdc2
     > raid-disk 1
     >
     >raiddev /dev/md2
     > raid-level 1
     > nr-raid-disks 2
     > ; nr-spare-disks 0
     > chunk-size 4
     > persistent-superblock 1
     > device /dev/hdb3
     > raid-disk 0
     > device /dev/hdc3
     > raid-disk 1

    that is OK
    but /dev/hda[1-3] and /dev/hdb[1-3] should be SW-RAID ( partition id)

    and then
    pvcreate /dev/md0 /dev/md1 /dev/md2
    vgcreate

good luck