[linux-lvm] Setup for RAID1 with LVM

Wolfgang Weisselberg weissel at netcologne.de
Sat Nov 17 09:04:06 UTC 2001

Hi, Brent!

Brent Harding (bharding at doorpi.net) wrote 34 lines:

> >FC> [...]  when we start pvcreate /dev/md0 we get the following error:
> >FC> invalid partition type 0x83 for /dev/md0" (must be
> >FC> 0x8e). Unfortunatelly we can´t change it using fdisk.

> >For whole disk devices only the partition table must be erased, which

> Can it be done to just a partition? I suppose raid devices are considered
> whole disks no matter what portion of various partitions they take up.

Yep, to the kernel a RAID looks like a complete HD.

83 is, BTW, the standard partition type for Linux, while fd
is the Linux auto raid (automatically Kernel-mounted RAID)

I guess you can simply erase the beginning of the RAID
(/dev/md0) or even make partitions on the RAID -- but I don't
know why you'd want that when you're going with LVM anyway.

-Wolfgang