Re: [linux-lvm] Just for information ....

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:41:04PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > Yes.  You will need to do a vgscan to find the new disks.  Hopefully they
> > will not have the same VG name as another VG on that system.
>
> What if they do?

Nothing, originally.  Your last "vgchange -a y" should populate the
/etc/lvmtab.d directory with the current working volume group data.
Even if you have two vg's of the same name, your last one should be the
active one.

I had to go back to the original system and do a vgexport <vgname> in
order to import it on the new system.  I've considered naming vg's after
their host (and possibly media type).  That way, I'll know I have at
least a stub of a unique name for the vg.

As far as keeping VG's separate based on media...  I'm torn.  It's a
simple way of making sure I don't loose data if the IDE disk goes bad --
which has happened to me -- while the SCSI disk remains fine.

Unless I'm using RAID, grouping multiple physical disks together in one
VG means I have to pay extra special attention to where the LV's
allocate their PE's.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie wookimus net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD