[linux-lvm] ext2online fails

Jonathan S. Polacheck JPolache at texasmutual.com
Thu Nov 29 10:32:02 UTC 2001

I am trying to resize a filesystem after lvextend.  ext2online returns the
following;

[root at netman root]# ext2online /dev/vg1/vol_usr
ext2online v1.1.14 - 1999/10/14 for EXT2FS 0.5b

ext2online: resizing to 258048 blocks
ext2online: resize failed while in kernel
ext2online: Invalid argument

The ext2online man page states;

In  order  to  use ext2online, you need to have the Online ext2 resize
support (CONFIG_EXT2_RESIZE) compiled into the kernel  (this  is  an
optional patch for the 2.x series of kernels).

How do I tell if my kernel is properly compiled?  If it is not properly
compiled, I have a problem as I currently do not have the disk space to
install gcc, make or the kernel source.