Re: [linux-lvm] Mandrake 8.1 and LVM

mitch mdmiller com wrote:

Pardon me for being a neophyte here, but what else goes on the root
partition which takes any significant or dynamic amount of space?  Isn't
the root just a place to put all the top level directories, the contents
of which are typically all on another partition anyway?

It largely depends on how you set up your system.

For instance, on most systems I set up, I end up having / and /usr on the same filesystem, which means that any RPMS I install end up on the root partition. If you start with a fairly small install and later decide to add a bunch of flashy office suites, games, or multimedia applications, your storage requirements can change drastically.

-- Lars