[linux-lvm] Linux 2.4.16+SMP+Ext3+LVM snapshots

Brian hiryuu at envisiongames.net
Thu Nov 29 23:13:01 UTC 2001

So I'm building a file server with a 3ware raid card (6800, maybe replaced
with a 7800).

This is a dual-1.2 Athlon running 2.4.16 with LVM sitting below our ~700GB
ext3 data partition.  At first, we used the lvm support included in the
kernel.

After some copying, I tested
	lvcreate -s -l 200 -n test1 /dev/vol0/cobra
The snapshot was corrupt.  Known problem.  Fair enough.

So I grabbed lvm 1.0.1 (released a couple days ago).  I patched the kernel
with the new lvm and the VFS-lock patch for 2.4.11.  There were quite a
few offsets, but it otherwise applied cleanly.

I started a big cp off an NFS mount and ran
	lvcreate -s -l 200 -n test1 /dev/vol0/cobra
The cp and lvcreate deadlocked.  Both are frozen in D state and they're
not coming out.

Snapshots were the big reason for us to use LVM, so this is not good.

Help!
	-- Brian