[linux-lvm] pvcreate fails on a software RAID meta-disk

Bill Ellis bill_ellis at legis.state.ak.us
Tue Oct 2 21:35:31 UTC 2001

Hi,

I'm running into a weird problem with pvcreate.  It doesn't seem to want to
let me use a software RAID metadisk as a PV.  Here's what I get:

> root at tik-tok:~# pvcreate /dev/md7
> pvcreate -- ERROR "parameter error" setting up  physical volume "/dev/md7"
>
> root at tik-tok:~# pvcreate -v /dev/md7
> pvcreate -- locking logical volume manager
> pvcreate -- checking physical volume name "/dev/md7"
> pvcreate -- getting physical volume size
> pvcreate -- checking partition type
> pvcreate -- creating new physical volume
> pvcreate -- setting up physical volume for /dev/md7 with 0 sectors
> pvcreate -- ERROR "parameter error" setting up  physical volume "/dev/md7"
>
> root at tik-tok:~# pvcreate --version
> pvcreate: Logical Volume Manager 1.0.1-rc3
> Heinz Mauelshagen, Sistina Software  01/10/2001 (IOP 10)

I'm running a 2.4.10 kernel, patched with the lvm 1.0.1rc3 patch...
(and my own quick fix for the '__update_hardsectsize' vs.
'__update_hardblocksize' issue).

So:  this (software RAID metadisks as lvm PVs) *is* supposed to work,
right?

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks In Advance,
Bill Ellis