[linux-lvm] trouble of reduce pv

YouMizuki appendix at hatsune.cc
Mon Oct 29 12:38:02 UTC 2001

I've a LVM one physical volume "vg0" that created on 10 RAID devices.
It worked still the day.
But one day, I have problem about vgscan reports that it can't find my VG.

My VG structure was this.

| /dev/md1,md2,md3,md4,md5,md6,md7,md8,md9,md10 => vg0

But md10 was broken.
I need to restruct VG like this.

| /dev/md1,md2,md3,md4,md5,md6,md7,md8,md9 => vg0

But vgscan is can't find VG

|vgscan
|vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
|vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
|vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume group

I tried uuid_fixer. but I get only error.

|uuid_fixer  /dev/md1 /dev/md2 /dev/md3 /dev/md4 /dev/md5 /dev/md6 /dev/md7 /dev/md8 /dev/md9
|Error: number of PVs passed in does not match number of PVs in /dev/md2's VG
|       9 PVs were passed in and 10 were expected.

I tried pvmove...

|pvmove --force -v /dev/md9 /dev/md10
|pvmove -- checking name of source physical volume "/dev/md9"
|pvmove -- locking logical volume manager
|pvmove -- reading data of source physical volume from "/dev/md9"
|pvmove -- checking volume group existence
|pvmove -- ERROR: can't move physical extents: volume group vg0 doesn't exist

How do I carry out the restructuring of it and can I reconstruct it?