[linux-lvm] Segmentation Fault with vgextend and LVM 1.0.1rc4

Nils Juergens nils at muon.de
Tue Oct 30 03:09:02 UTC 2001

On Mon, 29.10.01, Jean-Noel GADREAU <cathjn at gadreau.net> wrote:

[snip]
> vgextend -- extending volume group "vg01" by physical volume "/dev/hde1"
> in kernel
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> I am using RedHat 7.1 with a custom kernel to have LVM (2.4.9-6). I have
> 2 drives on this IDE controller (a Promise UltraDMA100DX2) and both work
> fine with linux. My secondary drive (/dev/hdf is already part of vg01).
[snip]

The stock linux kernel comes with an old version of lvm. Please grab
the latest version and make sure to patch your kernel (see
PATCHES/README in the lvm distribution). You should also upgrade your
userspace tools (lvcreate, vgextend and the like).

On a further note, check which compiler you are using. gcc-2.96 should
be used without optimization (-O0) and make sure you do not use
gcc-3.0.x (it produces broken code on some occasions, this happened to
me with the lvm tools).

good luck,

Nils