[linux-lvm] SoftRaid and LVM

svetljo galia at st-peter.stw.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Sep 4 14:57:44 UTC 2001

Hi again have you looked at the new How-to on sistina.com the one about
lvm-1.0
it say that on raid devices there shouldn't be created filesystem
sou probably have to recreate the md and not format it

it would be nice if you could change the partitions id of the md-device
 but i don't now how to do it  you can't do it with fdisk, cfdisk or
with some other of the comandline tools
i have done it on a software RAID-0 with a Mandrake tool diskdrake but
with the new versions in their devel. distribution it doesn't work

and about a mirroring on one disk i'm not shure you can benefit much
as far i know mirroring is for two separate hard drives and not for
partitions
/dev/hda1  and /dev/hda2 are on the same disk so if fmth hapens to the
disk you can not restore

dou you plan to move your root directory over it ?