Re: [linux-lvm] SoftRaid and LVM

Hi again have you looked at the new How-to on sistina.com the one about lvm-1.0
it say that on raid devices there shouldn't be created filesystem
sou probably have to recreate the md and not format it

it would be nice if you could change the partitions id of the md-device but i don't now how to do it you can't do it with fdisk, cfdisk or with some other of the comandline tools
i have done it on a software RAID-0 with a Mandrake tool diskdrake but with the new versions in their devel. distribution it doesn't work

and about a mirroring on one disk i'm not shure you can benefit much
as far i know mirroring is for two separate hard drives and not for partitions
/dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 are on the same disk so if fmth hapens to the disk you can not restore

dou you plan to move your root directory over it ?

Thorsten Sauter wrote:

Hi,

sorry for these short description :-)!

Currently I'm using kernel 2.4.9 with the raidtools-0.90.
The md0 device is a simple RAID1-Mirroring between hda1 and hda2.

If I create a simple vg over these two disks and one disk goes bad, all of
my datas are lost, isn't it? So I think it would be a nice idee to create
a simple, minimum safety, mirror array and active the lvm over this array.
From now on, I have the flexibilty from the lvm and the safety from the
raid!?

I've found some patches for older lvm version in the internet (google,
...) and a patch on this list from october last year. But all these
patches (?) are for very old lvm versions (0.8x) so I tink they don't work
on newer lvm-versions.

The problem, as described below, is that I can't create a volume group on
a md-device.

Are these infos enought? I hope so.

Between my to mails I've created a new "blank" md-device (no old datas, no
old fdisk probs). But the problem is the same.
The lvm-howto and the raid-howtos doens't provide any informations for
interacting raid with lvm. :-(

Thanks for your help!

Thorsten Sauter
viastore systems GmbH

-- Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take effect. Reboot now? [OK]