[linux-lvm] PBs with LVM over software RAID ( and XFS ? ext2 reiserfs?)

svetljo galia at st-peter.stw.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Sep 5 23:05:36 UTC 2001

Andreas Dilger wrote:

>On Sep 05, 2001  20:57 +0200, svetljo wrote:
>
>>i maked the VG and the LV's under 2.4.9-xfs lvm-1.0.1rc1
>>but i had the XFS- mount problem with it and JFS had no problems
>>and i upgraded to 2.4.10-pre2-xfs lvm-1.0.1rc2 and had no problems with
>>JFS and XFS
>>

>When you say you have no problems, does that mean "mkfs.{jfs,xfs} completed
>without errors" or does that mean "I have been using {JFS,XFS} under load
>or running dbench/bonnie++ on it without errors".  Since you say that
>memtest86 does not show errors on your system, you could also try dbench,
>bonnie++, or even cerberus (from VA Linux) to stress test these filesystems.
>I'm pretty sure they will also show problems under stress, and this will
>convince you it is a kernel or hardware problem.

well i already downloaded dbench and bonnie++ and i'll try to find cerberus
but i had downloaded vanila 2.4.7 at 2.3k/s so it took me some time and
i was thinking to try to boot with / on the  LV
and i had to make some backups

>>i tried with 2.4.9-ac5 lvm-1.0 and vanila 2.4.9 lvm-1.0.1rc1
>>with all these kernels it seemd that the LVM is working but i couldn't
>>format the LV with reiserfs and ext2
>>mke2fs and mkreiserfs simply segfaults without errors
>>

>The fact that mkfs.* is causing a kernel OOPS is a sure sign of problems
>in the kernel, because these are just user-space applications, and do
>not run in the kernel at all.  I don't think it could possibly be a
>problem with these tools.

i couldn't find any OOPS 's after running mkreiserfs and mke2fs

>>>If you have never had this working properly, try some early kernel like
>>>2.4.5 and see if it works.  If not then I suspect you have a RAM problem,
>>>and you may want to swap/remove SIMM/DIMMs to see if you can isolate it.
>>>
>>i can not understand why do you think that i could have RAM problems
>>if i had RAM problems why would XFS and JFS working without problem and
>>mke2fs and mkreiserfs segfaulting
>>

>There have been problems with mke2fs in the past (and maybe mkreiserfs too)
>where they make a LOT of blocks dirty which exposes problems in the block
>I/O layer inside the kernel.  This does not mean that these tools are bad,
>it means the kernel is bad, or your system is bad, and these are tools
>that show this problem best.
>
>Cheers, Andreas

thanks a lot