[linux-lvm] "anchoring" the logical volumes to physical volumes

Florin Iucha florin at iucha.net
Wed Sep 5 23:26:15 UTC 2001

Hello!

I have two SCSI harddisks of 4.5 GB each and I want to install Linux on them
on top of LVM.

I want to put / /boot /var /home /usr/local on the first disk and /usr on the
second one. At the same time I want to have all partitions (except /boot) on
LVM so I can extend/snapshot them.

I can take the obvious route of creating a PV on each of the harddisks and
putting them in the same VG and then splitting the VG into LV. But I want
to make sure /usr gets on the second disk and all /usr and / get allocated
at the beginning of the PV.

I can simulate this by creating the first LVs than a LV that will fill up the
first PV then the LV for /usr... But this is ugly and I am not sure is
guaranteed to work.

Any "smart" solution to this problem? Any plans to implement such a feature
in lvcreate?

Thank you,
florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4