[linux-lvm] Root on LV

lembark at wrkhors.com lembark at wrkhors.com
Thu Sep 6 16:53:11 UTC 2001

-- dobos_s at IBCnet.hu on 09/06/01 16:03:49 +0200

> Hi!
>
> I cannot understand something.
> My kernel has no modules.
> Why should I create an ext2 partition for holding an initrd which is not
> doing any essential things except vgscan and vgchange -ay ?
> Why cant these things built into the kernel?

Don't put an initrd on it.  Create the first few partitions on
your drive at 128MB (/), 64 or 128MB (primary swap), 320MB (/var).
Leave the rest on LVM.  With these three you can normally start
up and recover a damaged LVM system; if the root and primary swap
at least aren't in non-LVM storage you'll be unable to boot if
LVM fries for any reason; /var is usually a pain to loose and
doesn't grow all that much so I leave it on a partition also.

sl